Frequently asked questions and answers
FAQ, frequently asked questions and answers
Electric car charging in Saariselkä
If I get sick, can I cancel the booking?
Yes you can cancel the booking. Time of cancellation will tell if the payment will be refunded.
More information: Booking terms / cancellations
Airport Bus from Ivalo Airport and bus stops?
Airport Bus is operating from/to Ivalo Airport – Saariselkä when there are flights. Airport Bus timetable and bus stops
Where/how can I see the Northern Lights / Auroras?
The best season to see the Northern Lights is from November to February.
To be able to see the Northen Lights it needs to be dark and the sky needs to be clear. It’s also important that the surroundings are dark, so you need to move away from the lights of the village.
For more information about the Northern Light visit Auroras Now.
What if I get sick during my holiday, where is the hospital?
The closest hospital is located in Rovaniemi, 260 km south from Saariselkä.
There is a health-care center/out patient clinic in Ivalo, 30 km north from Saariselkä.
The emergency number in Finland is 112. In case of emergency, you should always call the emergency number!
Where is Pharmacy?
Ivalo Pharmacy’s medicin cabin is in Saariselkä village, in Cafe Kuukkeli. From there you can by basic medicines (without prescription)
What is the currency in Finland, can I pay with credit card?
There is no bank in Saariselkä so you can’t change money in Saariselkä!
What kind of activities are available this time of the year?
- With snow is winter season (November – April)
- Without snow is summer season (June – September)
Check available daily programs, safaris and excursions. You can book activities from Safari House, address Honkapolku 1.
How are the weather conditions like this time of the year?
- Between the 4th of December and th 8th of January the sun doesn’t rise at all. This period is called the polar night.
- Between the 22th of May and the 20th of July the sun doesn’t set at all, and this period is called the nightless night.
- In winter time the temperature can vary between 0 degrees celsius and -40 degrees celsius. The snow depth varies usually between 20 cm and 1 m. The first snow falls in usually in October and the snow melts in May.
- In summer time we can have even +30 degrees celsius but typically the temperature varies between +10 and +20 degrees celsius.
- Check from average weather conditions guest info
Is it safe to go around in the forests in Saariselkä?
If you are planning to go wandering outside the marked trails you should always have adequate map and compass with you.
For longer tours in the forests you should also have enough clothes and food with you because the weather conditions can change rapidly.
How are the roads in Lapland?
In winter time (October-May) the roads can be snowy and icy. Winter tyres are compulsory from the beginning of December to the end of February.
What is address to my mail box during my Saariselkä vacation?
Cabins and apartments don’t have postboxes.